Mass Effect - Rebirth
At character creation, choose 1 Personal Move from the list below:
Moves Sorted by Stat:
No-Stat / Automatic Moves:
- A No Shit Pilot
- Arresting Grace
- Battlefield Medic
- Impossible Reflexes
- Team Player
- Varren Handler
A No Shit Pilot
When operating a vehicle…
- If you do something under fire, add the vehicle’s power to your roll
- If you try to seize something by force, add your vehicle’s power to your roll
- If you go aggro, add your vehicle’s power to your roll
- If you try to seduce or manipulate someone, add your vehicle’s looks to your roll
- If you help or interfere with someone, add your vehicle’s power to your roll
- If someone interferes with you, add your vehicle’s weakness to their roll
- If you fail your move, take a penalty forward equal to your vehicle’s weakness
When you remove a piece of clothing – your own, or someone else’s – nobody who can see you can do anything but watch. You command their absolute attention. You may exempt specific people, by name, if you choose.
Artful & Gracious
When you perform your chosen art – any act of expression or culture – or when you put its product before an audience, roll
+Hot. On a 10+, spend 3. On a 7-9, spend 1. Spend 1 to name an NPC member of your audience and choose one:
- This person must meet me
- This person must have my services
- This person loves me
- This person must give me a gift
- This person admires my patron
On a miss, you gain no benefit. You simply perform very well.
When you are caring for people, not fighting, you get
+1armor. You get a medical kit and mundane medical supplies worth 8-stock (see Medical Kit in Gear). Furthermore, you have med packs with four doses of medi-gel and the knowledge to use it effectively. When you apply medi-gel in an emergency expend one dose of medi-gel and roll
+Sharp. On a 10+, they heal 4-Shock. On a 7-9, they heal 2-Shock. On a miss, something goes awry.
- Your contacts respect strength. Roll +Hard when contacting them.
- Your contacts respect your allure or forceful personality. Roll +Hot when contacting them.
- Your contacts respect intelligence. Roll +Sharp when contacting them.
At the beginning of the session, or as soon thereafter as you are in a position to do so, you may contact your network and roll the appropriate stat. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 1. You may spend your hold anytime during that session, 1 for 1, to:
- Get something done: find one or more contacts to accomplish an off-screen task
- Lean on someone: convince a character as if you’d rolled a 10+ on seduce or manipulate
- Gather intel: learn something about a subject as if you’d rolled a 10+ on consult training
- Analyze intel: gain access to the insight peripheral move for one course of action
- Borrow Resources: gain temporary access to an item, piece of equipment, or service
On a miss, your network needs a favor in return. Lose access to this move until you satisfy them.
Dangerous and Sexy
When you enter into a charged situation, roll
+Hot. On a 10+, hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to make eye contact with an NPC present, who freezes or flinches and can’t take action until you break it off. On a miss, your enemies identify you immediately as their foremost threat.
Force of Will
You can roll
+Will to get the effects of going aggro, without going aggro. Your victim has to be able to see you, but you don’t have to interact. If your victim forces your hand, your uncanny presence counts as a weapon doing (2-shock close loud-optional).
Life of the Party
When you hit the club or work a crowd, roll EITHER
+Resources spent (max
+3). On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7–9, choose 1. On a miss, you still choose one, but things get really out of hand (the GM will say how).
- You befriend a useful NPC.
- You hear rumors of an opportunity.
- You gain useful information.
- You are not entangled, conned, or tricked.
You are a master of all things biological, medical, and cybernetic. You may work on people or other biological specimens as if you were a Mechanic.
Laboratory: Choose 3: a med-bay or cargo hold, a surgery, skilled labor, growth vats of raw materials, an ambulance vehicle, high-tech gadgets, advanced life-support systems, top-notch cybernetic implant supply, an alien relic, booby traps.
You may go into your laboratory using the same rules as an Engineer going into their workspace.
Trauma Care: When you hold a bleeding companion together in the field roll
+Sharp. On a 10+, the person or other biological system can ignore 2 of the harm it has thus far taken. On a 7-9, they can ignore 1 of the harm they have taken. On a miss, you may well have made things worse… Note that this does not permanently repair the damage (that requires real medical care), but it will stave off death or debility temporarily.
You get 2-juggling. Whenever there’s a stretch of downtime in play, or between sessions, choose a number of your gigs to work. Choose no more than your juggling. Roll
+Cool. On a 10+, you get profit from all the gigs you chose. On a 7-9, you get profit from at least 1; if you chose more, you get catastrophe from 1 and profit from the rest. On a miss, catastrophe all around. The gigs you aren’t working give you neither profit nor catastrophe. Whenever you get a new gig, you also get +1juggling.
Choose 3 paying gigs (profit/catastrophe):
- Bodyguarding (1-resources / embattled)
- Espionage (1-resources / deceived)
- Mercenary Work (1-resources / embattled)
- Enforcement (1-resources / overthrown)
- Honest Work (1-resources / impoverished)
- Companionship (1-resources / entangled)
- Deliveries (1-resources / bushwhacked)
- Infiltration (1-resources / discovered)
- Salvage (1-resources / impoverished)
- Brokering deals (1-resources / shut out)
- Technical work (2-resources / shut out)
- Sex (2-resources / entangled)
- Counter-espionage (2-resources / infiltrated)
- Murder for hire (3-resources / embattled)
And choose 1 obligation gig:
- Avoiding Someone (You keep well clear / they catch you in a bad spot)
- Paying debts (you keep up with them / they come due)
- Revenge (you victimize someone / they humiliate you)
- Protecting someone (nothing bad happens to them / they’re gone)
- Pursuing luxury (beauty in your life / you wind up in a bad spot)
- Maintaining your honor (you keep your word and your name / you cross a line)
- Seeking answers (you get a clue / you chase a red herring)
For advancement, you may cross off any unused advance to instead gain +2 gigs, or +1 gig and remove your obligation gig.
- They do what you want.
- They don’t fight back over it.
- Their Vulnerability doesn’t activate, or you don’t have to hurt one of them.
On a miss, someone in your gang makes a dedicated bid to replace you as Alpha. If you don’t already have a gang, this move gives you one (see Gear). If you already have a gang, select one more option for them.
Name somebody who might conceivably eat, drink, or otherwise ingest something you’ve touched. If it’s an NPC, roll
+Hard; a PC, roll
+Hx. On a 10+, they do, and suffer 4-harm (ap, ignore shields/barriers) sometime during the next 24 hours. On a 7-9, it’s 2-harm (ap, ignore shields/barriers). On a miss, some several people of the GM’s choice, maybe including your guy maybe not, get it, and all suffer 3-harm (ap, ignore shields/barriers).
You have a pet creature capable of fighting by your side. You can’t talk to it per se but it always acts as you wish it to. Name your animal and choose an appropriate species, then choose its stats:
- Ferocity +2, Cunning +1, 1 Armor, Instinct +1
- Ferocity +2, Cunning +2, 0 Armor, Instinct +1
- Ferocity +1, Cunning +2, 1 Armor, Instinct +1
- Ferocity +2, Cunning +2, 1 Armor, Instinct +2
Choose as many strengths as its ferocity:
Fast, burly, huge, calm, adaptable, quick reflexes, tireless, camouflage, ferocious, intimidating, keen senses, stealthy
Your animal is trained to fight people. Choose as many additional trainings as its cunning:
Hunt, search, scout, guard, fight animals, perform, labor, travel
Choose as many weaknesses as its instinct:
Flighty, savage, slow, broken, frightening, forgetful, stubborn, lame
When you work with your animal companion on something it’s trained in:
- …and you attack the same target, add its ferocity to the harm you inflict
- …and you track, add its cunning to your roll
- …and you take damage, add its armor to your armor and it’s ferocity drops by 1 until you heal it.
- …and you read a situation, add its cunning to your roll
- …and you seduce or manipulate, add its cunning to your roll
- …and someone interferes with you, add its instinct to their roll
- …and you fail on your move, take a penalty forward equal to its instinct
For advancement, you may cross off any unused advance to instead choose 2 new trainings.
You have developed extensive investments and agents whose job it is to keep you in credits. At the beginning of the session, roll the appropriate stat (see below) to see how your fortune is faring. On a 10+, you have surplus on hand for your needs. On a 7-9, you have surplus, but choose one want. On a miss, your investments are in want. The GM will choose one or more. The precise values of your surplus and want are determined by creating your investments below.
- You’ve invested in soldiers or mercenaries. Roll
+Hardat the beginning of the session, surplus: 1-Resources, want: violent
- You’ve invested in the underworld, or in networks that value face-time. Roll
+Hotat the beginning of the session, surplus: 1-Resources, want: shady
- You’ve invested in academics, science, or technology. Roll
+Sharpat the beginning of the session, surplus: 1-Resources, want: distracted
Then Choose 2 Benefits:
- Your investments are extensive, but thinly spread. Surplus:
+1Resources, want: needy
- Your investments are compact and well administered. Remove one want.
- Your investments profit from violent conflict. Surplus:
+1Resources, want: embattled
- You’ve invested in the information trade. Surplus: gain the insight peripheral move, want: infiltrated
- You’ve invested in physical resources, perhaps a planet rich in minerals or a refinery. Surplus:
+1Resources, want: immobile
- You’re a minor sharehold in another, larger organization. Surplus:
+1Resources, want: obligation
- Your people have access to rare or specialized technology. Surplus:
+1Resources, want: idle
Then Choose 1 Weakness:
- Your investments are always working for you, or deeply concealed. Want: unreliable
- Your investments are micromanaged and rely entirely on you for everything. Want: desperation
- Your investments are subject to bullying or blackmail. Want: reprisals
- Your investments are in large companies with multiple masters. Want: obligation
For advancement, you may cross off any unused advance to instead choose 2 new benefits, or take 1 new benefit and remove 1 weakness.